Snoring is more than just an annoying sound that causes your partner to elbow you in the ribs several times per night. Snoring is bad for your health.
If you are a snorer, then this means that your sleep cycle is constantly interrupted throughout the night, so your body is not getting the chance to fully recharge.
Plus, it also means that your body is struggling to get oxygen because there is an airway obstruction. An effective anti-snoring mouthpiece can improve your sleep quality and your health, but is VitalSleep the right device for you?
VitalSleep is a mandibular advancement device (MAD) that works by holding your jar in a forward position. This keeps your airway free of obstruction. Unlike most MADs that do not allow you to make changes to jaw positioning, VitalSleep does.
It comes with a hex tool that allows you to tweak the position in which the lower jaw is held.
This mouthpiece is made of a thermoplastic material that is latex-free and BPA-free.
Since it is crafted of a thermoplastic material it can be custom molded to fit the unique curves of your mouth using the boil-and-bite technique.
In addition to keeping your airway free of obstruction it also promotes sound breathing by allowing oxygen to flow in-and-out of the air hole at the front.
This product is classified as a Class II anti-snoring device, and as of January 2010 it was cleared by the FDA-510(k) Number K092942.
About the Company
David Hernandez co-developed VitalSleep with his New York City-based company, the Snore Reliever Company LLC.
Although he registered his company back in December 2010, it did not gain momentum or receive much recognition until January 2, 2012.
After spending close to $3,000 on an oral appliance prescribed by a dentist that broke soon after he started wearing it he had the idea to create an anti-snoring mouthpiece. His goal was that it would be an affordable alternative to costly prescription devices.
Achieving a Custom Fit
Achieving a good fit is a lot easier than you might expect. When I did it the whole process took less than five minutes.
Then, I just spent a few minutes adjusting the lower tray with the hex tool to tweak my fit even more. You will need a pot of water and a timer to complete the molding process.
Before you begin, make sure that the upper and lower trays are directly on top of one another. If they are not, then use the hex tool to adjust them so they line up. You will see an indicator mark on both sides that will eliminate any question you might have regarding positioning.
- Locate the small opening at the rear of the mouthpiece. This is where the included handle will snap into. On a side note, if the handle is not going in very easily you might have it upside-down.
- Bring two cups of water to a boil.
- Use the handle to submerge the mouthpiece in the boiling water for only 10 seconds. It is very important that you do not go over this. Those who have completed the boil-and-bite process before may just assume this device gets submerged for a minute or two like others, but it doesn’t.
- After 10 seconds, remove the device from the water.
- Determine which tray is the upper tray by looking for the triangle stamped inside.
- Place the device in your mouth, making sure the triangle side touches your upper jaw.
- Bite down gently, and hold this position for about 15 seconds.
- Remove the appliance from your mouth and cool it by running it under cold water for 30 seconds.
- Remove the handle and make sure that the fit is good. If not, you can repeat the process.
- Use the included hex tool to adjust the lower tray position. I ended up with mine just a little past the halfway point.
Putting it to the Test
Since I had already completed the boil-and-bite process and adjusted the lower jaw positioning when it arrived earlier in the day my device was already ready for me to wear at bedtime.
My wife was watching a movie in bed and although my intentions were to stay up and watch the ending, I fell right asleep after I put my mouthpiece in. When I awoke in the morning I felt refreshed, which meant my body’s sleep cycle was not interrupted by snoring all night. I removed the device and noticed my jaw was pretty sore.
I had originally thought I may have adjusted it with the lower jaw position a little too advanced. I washed it and went downstairs to find my wife. Considering I felt so well-rested I really did not need her to tell me I didn’t snore, but it was nice to hear her confirm what I already knew.
Before bed on the second night, I used the hex tool to adjust the jaw positioning a bit. It was noticeably more comfortable, but I was eager to see if it would still be effective in this position. In the morning I felt just as awake as the previous morning, only with a little less jaw soreness. My wife again confirmed that I did not snore.
VitalSleep continued to stop my snoring for the rest of the seven-day trial period. It was comfortable and the air hole made it really easy to breathe all night. Interestingly, I did not really drool with this device, and I usually do when I start wearing a new MAD. Also, I experienced no gum irritation either.
My Overall Thoughts
I was quite impressed and happy with the experience I had with VitalSleep. There is no denying that it is one of the most thoughtfully engineered oral appliances on the market. It is comfortable and adjustable, and I really like that the air hole lets you breathe freely. Best of all, it does work. I have tried dozens of anti-snoring devices and have to say that this one really is a great value.
How Expensive is It?
At the end of 2010, VitalSleep sold for just under $40. Today, it is listed at $79.95 for one, and $139.95 for two.
You can get a 10% discount by using coupon code DEALS. The price will be $71.95 for one, and $62.97 (per item) for two devices.
This product comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. The manufacturer also offers free replacements for an entire year. So, if you need to replace your device for any reason you will be sent a new one free of charge.
Pros and Cons
My experience with this device was definitely a positive one, but like all mouthpieces this one has its share of pros and cons.
- It is cleared by the United States Food and Drug Administration.
- Air hole allows you to breathe freely through your mouth.
- Adjustable sliding mechanism lets you make micro adjustments using mini hex key for the best jaw positioning possible.
- Made from 100 percent USA-sourced medical grade materials that are latex-free and BPA-free.
- Design allows you to move your jaw laterally. This improves comfort while reducing stress on the jaw.
- Boil-and-bite process allows you to get a custom fit in less than five minutes.
- Can be cleaned easily with toothpaste and a toothbrush, or with a denture cleaner.
- 100% 30-day money-back guarantee.
- You get one full year of free replacements, for any reason.
- Average 12-month life expectancy is longer than many MADs on the market.
- Allows you to get a custom fit, but the design could be improved upon if it was molded around your teeth instead of the gum line.
- It is stated that device can be worn by denture wearers, as long as you have partial teeth. However, you should consult with your dentist before doing so. Applying that amount of pressure to remaining permanent teeth may not be the best advice.
- Company is not BBB-accredited.
- Shipping charges are non-refundable if you return the device.
- This mouthpiece has a lot of crevices that can harbor bacteria, so it is vital that the appliance be scrubbed thoroughly after each use.
What Are People Saying?
Some jaw soreness has been reported but this is a common complaint of MADs. Soreness should be expected a few days while your mouth gets used to the device. Nearly everyone who has tried VitalSleep has reported enjoying a full night of no snoring and increased energy the next day.
Of course, the energy is resulted from an uninterrupted sleep cycle. Some have also said they are in a better mode and have a more positive outlook, which again can be connected to improved sleep quality.
I did find a few reviews stating that all the crevices can be tricky to clean. Some also say that if you grind your teeth the device will not last as long, which is to be expected. The majority of reviews have been written by individuals who have worn the device for less than one year.
Has VitalSleep Been Clinically Tested?
Some people place a lot of focus on clinical studies when making a buying decision. It is important to understand that most anti-snoring appliances have not been clinically tested. These tests are costly and time consuming, so manufacturers typically rely on previously completed studies of similar products.
VitalSleep has not been tested. However, it is quite similar in design to other devices that have been tested and proven effective in the treatment of moderate to severe snoring.
A good example of a study done on a similar product was one completed by the Department of Thoracic Medicine located at Middlesex Hospital in the United Kingdom. It was concluded that 80 out of 94 participants experienced an improvement in snoring. That is an 85 percent effective rating. VitalSleep is very similar to the product that was used in that study.
This device may be fairly new to the heavily saturated market of mouthpieces, but it certainly is not getting lost in the crowd. Its unique design exceeds many similar devices in its class.
Since this product is able to be molded you can really get a custom fit that amounts to improved comfort. It also allows you to breathe freely all night, thanks to a front air hole. This makes the device suitable for individuals who breathe through their mouth due to sinuses, nasal polyps, deviated septum, etc.
VitalSleep comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee; the company provides free replacements for an entire year, regardless of reason.
One creator is a rehabilitation physician and the other is a physical therapist. So, although doctors, they are not dentists and do not specialize in sleep medicine. Do not let this deter you though.
They pretty much nailed the design. I recommend VitalSleep based on comfort, design, functionality, and price.Click Here to Access the Official VitalSleep Website
Which device should I choose?
No one can answer this question for you. Your mouth and needs are unique, so one that I love or that your neighbor swears by may not be the best solution for you.
There are numerous products available to choose from, so if you are feeling overwhelmed this is perfectly normal. I have written several reviews on products I have personally tried and you can always use the chart I compiled for comparison purposes.