Made from a durable medical grade copolymer and fitted with the boil-and-bite method, SnoreRx is a mandibular advancement device that ranks #2 in my top three recommended picks.
Like other MADs, it stops snoring by holding the jaw in a forward position; however it has a few unique features that distinguishes it from others on the market.
SnoreRX was created by Jim Fallon. It has grown so much in popularity that it can now be purchased in 39 countries. Fallon founded Apena Science Corporation, and called upon an engineering firm in his local area to help with the product design. A local manufacturer was also secured to produce the mouthpiece.
An FDA consultant was hired to assist Fallon in obtaining FDA-approval for SnoreRX. With time, StopSnoring LLC took over the sales and marketing and Apena Science Corporation was transformed into a multimillion dollar company.
Why I Recommend This Mouthpiece?
- Has a Calibrator™, which is a uniquely designed feature that allows you to make adjustments to the mandibular (lower jaw) positioning. This plays a key role in stopping snoring. Most MADs hold the jaw in one stationary position. Although SnoreRX does hold your jaw in one place all night, you have control over the positioning. The Calibrator™ lets you make forward and backward adjustments. This is a really advanced feature, and it has made it significantly easier to achieve a comfortable fit while also making it more effective to stop snoring.
- Can be formed to your mouth, thanks to an advanced molding compound. The process to do this is really simple. Once complete you have a soft and comfortable mouthpiece that stays in place all night while you sleep.
- Backed by an Unconditional 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. It is definitely one of the best guarantees I have seen on the market because the product can even be returned after being molded. In fact, customers are encouraged to mold the mouthpiece to try before making a decision because the company knows how different it feels once custom-fitted. You do not want to remove SnoreRX from its package, pop it in your mouth, and decide it doesn’t fit right. This would be a huge mistake. It will feel entirely different in your mouth after being molded.
- Suggested to last between 12 and 15 months. Considering some similar products have a lifespan of 4 to 6 months this makes this device a really good value. It is made of medical-grade copolymer, which is durable and long-lasting. This means you will not have to replace it as often as some other devices.
- Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ) is not a concern with SnoreRX. It does not cause or contribute to TMJ-related pain, like some mouthpieces do. Unlike most devices with a permanent mandibular positioning, this one has a Micro Fit™ system that lets you make precise calibrations in 1 millimeter increments. Since this can be done forward and backward it helps prevent TMJ. Some inferior oral appliances without this advanced feature can actually cause it.
- Available worldwide. There are few mouthpieces that have been granted this level of availability.
So, Why Isn’t SnoreRX My #1 Pick?
Considering this MAD is effective and has unique features you are probably trying to figure out why it is not listed as my number one pick. Well, I do really like the device and had a positive experience with it, but there is other product that has topped my list for its own unique features.
Good Moring Snore Solution (GMSS) is my number one pick. In my opinion, it is the most comfortable and safest stop snoring device on the market. GMSS is a tongue stabilizing device (TSD), so it works by holding your tongue forward to keep your airway free of obstruction. GMSS rests between the outer teeth and lips, and suction is used to secure it to your tongue. Since it does not actually sit on your jaw it is ideal for those who cannot get used to the presence of a foreign object in their mouth. It also makes it safe to wear if you have dentures, caps, crowns, or bridgework. Read my full GMSS review.
Achieving a Custom Fit
Do not let the boil-and-bite technique scare you. It is easy to achieve a custom fit in your home, without a dentist or the need to send the device away to a laboratory.
To complete the fitting process you will need a small pot, mug, bowl, tongs, and stopwatch or timer on your phone.
- Bring the pot of water to a boil while you add water and ice to the bowl. Once the water is boiling pour it into a wide-mouthed mug or bowl. Submerge the device in the hot water for about a minute. This softens the material so it can be molded.
- Use the tongs to remove it and allow the appliance to cool just a few seconds to a safer temperature. Make sure the “upper” part of the device is facing in the right direction, and then place it in your mouth. Bite down firmly for about 30 seconds.
- Remove the mouthpiece and place it in the bowl of the water. It should be left in there for about a minute. The cold temperature of the water will cause it to harden faster. Check the fit. If something does not feel right you can repeat the process up to two more times without compromising the material.
- If the fit feels good, then set the lower jaw position. You may need to try a different setting every night until you settle on one. It is a good idea to not set the position beyond 5 millimeters on the first night. This will give your jaw time to adjust to the forward positioning.
In my experience, the fitting process was quite simple. On my first attempt I was able to achieve a close fit and it took me less than five minutes. The instructions say that you have three tries to achieve a custom fit.
However, it is important to note that heating and cooling the device more than three times can weaken the material. Once the integrity of the material is compromised the appliance becomes useless.
Putting it to the Test
Like other mouthpieces on this website, I put SnoreRX through a seven-day trial period. When I received my device in the mail I immediately did the boil-and-bite process so it would be ready for me when I wanted to go to bed later. I also set the lower jaw positioning at 5 millimeters.
That night when I went to asleep my wife was already reading. She usually stays up a little later than me when I start a new trial just so she can tell me if I snore or not with the device.
I started to drool a little after putting it in, but this is common for me when I start wearing a new oral appliance until my mouth gets used to it.
The next morning I awoke feeling refreshed. My wife had not elbowed me in the middle of the night that I could remember, so that was a good sign. The first thing I noticed was that my jaw was very sore. My instinct had told me the 5-millimeter setting was a bit too much for my mouth, but I did it anyway. When I asked my wife if I snored she told me that I was silent all night.
On the second night I changed the setting to 4 millimeters. Although only a tiny variation it made a world of difference. It felt so much more comfortable, and the next day my jaw was significantly less sore. My wife again reported that I did not snore.
By the third day my jaw felt much better and wearing SnoreRX had just become part of the routine. I continued to wear it for a full week and it was effective the entire time.
Will It Work For You?
If you are trying to make the connection between snoring and wearing a mouthpiece it is helpful to complete a little test to determine if it will stop your snoring. You are going to actually do a little exercise to make yourself snore.
Begin by closing your mouth so you achieve a natural bite. Now, breathe normally, but try to create a snoring vibration sound at the back of your nasal passage and rear of your throat. It is common to make grunting sounds like a pig.
To understand how SnoreRX works and to determine if you are a good candidate, try making these same sounds after you slightly advance your jaw. In most cases you will find it impossible to make a snoring sound. If it is still possible for you but a struggle, simply advance your jaw just a little bit more. This would be similar to making an incremental change on the device and then locking it in with Posi-Lock™.
Pros and Cons
In my experience SnoreRX is comfortable and effective. However, like all anti snoring mouthpieces, this one does have its pros and cons. It is important to become familiar with both to make your decision.
- Made of medical grade material that contains no acrylics or BPA.
- Cleared by the United States Food and Drug Administration.
- Micro-Fit™ allows you to make extremely small incremental changes.
- Setting is locked in secure until you physically change it.
- You can easily see what setting you have the lower jaw on by looking at the Calibrator™.
- Big air hole allows you to breathe through your mouth.
- Long lifespan of 12 to 15 months.
- Small lateral jaw movements are possible thanks to Flex-Jaw™.
- 30-day unconditional money back guarantee.
- Price is significantly less expensive than a prescription mouthpiece.
- Available to be sold worldwide.
- Advanced design does not use rubber bands, rods, screws, or springs, so there is no concern of losing or breaking these pieces.
- Certified by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
- Not recommended to be worn by those with dentures, caps, crowns, or bridgework. I recommend GMSS device to those people who wear dentures.
- You can expect some level of lower jaw discomfort as you get used to the device being in your mouth.
- Will likely causing drooling while your mouth adjusts to its presence.
- 1 Mouthpiece – $99
- 2 Mouthpieces – $154
- 3 Mouthpieces – $199
All mouthpieces come with a carrying case. Shipping costs about $10 and it arrives via FedEx. If you order one your total charge is approximately $112. Included in this is a $2.28 Medical Device Excise Tax charged by the manufacturer.
The device is also backed by a 30-day unconditional money back guarantee. You might feel strange about returning a product that has been used, but SnoreRX encourages you to give it a fair try before making your decision.
You can get a 15% discount by using coupon code SleepWell16.
What Are Consumers Saying?
The vast majority of users are happy with their purchase. They agree that SnoreRX is easy-to-use and comfortable, and most state they experienced immediate results.
Alternately, there are some complaints that have surfaced online. In most cases these complaints are regarding shipping and handling. There are some people who said the appliance fell out during the night. However, out of the hundreds of reviews this complaint was only made a few times. There are also complaints of soreness for the first few days, but this is commonly seen in MAD reviews. The soreness is to be expected as the muscles get used to wearing the mouthpiece. This generally goes away within a couple days.
Is SnoreRX the Best Option for You?
There are very few MADs on the market that you can make adjustments to without having a prescription. SnoreRX is one of them. It allows you to make adjustments forward and backward in 1 millimeter increments.
Combine this feature with the custom molding process and you get a mouthpiece that makes it easy to achieve a better fit than most other products. It is designed to mimic appliances prescribed by dentists. Most prescribed MADs are for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea. They should not be confused with any over-the-counter anti-snoring mouthpieces, including this one.
The device does not seem to be endorsed by any doctors or dentists. Although the homepage shows photos of professionals in laboratory coats, this does not actually provide any information about the inventor or his credentials. It would appear that a selected group of outsourced engineers designed the mouthpiece.
Considering the construction and unique features, the price is fair, especially when you factor in the long lifespan of 12 to 15 months.
I was quite impressed with the quality of the device. Plus, it was really easy-to-use. It is constructed well, and it is the markets only custom molded MAD that allows you to continuously make adjustments without the need for any special tools.
After considering what customers are saying about the mouthpiece and comparing this to the product claims, I approve and recommend SnoreRX based on adjustability, comfort, and durability.Click Here to Access the Official SnoreRX Website
Which device should I choose?
No one can answer this question for you. Your mouth and needs are unique, so one that I love or that your neighbor swears by may not be the best solution for you.
There are numerous products available to choose from, so if you are feeling overwhelmed this is perfectly normal. I have written several reviews on products I have personally tried and you can always use the chart I compiled for comparison purposes.